Foldable smartphones have been touted to be the future of this industry. We have seen quite a number at this point, some more refined than others.
Samsung has just released its second-generation foldable smartphone, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip,after the Galaxy Fold. Important to note is that this is not an updated Galaxy Fold.
Coming hot in the heels of yet another foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Z Flip brings quite a lot to the table. It is no secret that the foldable smartphone industry is still a wild-west right now but Samsung has learned a thing or two from its Galaxy Fold drama.
Internally, the Galaxy Z Flip is a flagship through and through. This means it packs the latest internals and matching RAM and storage. Here’s the spec-sheet.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip: Specifications
- Operating System: Android 10
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+
- Main display: 6.7-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED, Infinity Flex
- Front display: 1.1-inch Super AMOLED
- Storage: 256GB
- Memory: 8GB
- Rear cameras: 12-megapixel ultra-wide-angle f/2.2 123-degree; 12-megapixel wide-angle f/1.8 78-degree
- Front camera: 10-megapixel f/2.4 80-degree
- Battery: 3,300 mAh
- Connectivity: LTE-only, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, NFC
- Dimensions: 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3mm (folded), 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2mm (open); 183g
- Colors: Mirror purple, mirror black, mirror gold
Now that we have the spec sheet out of the way, what are the few things that give this device the X factor? Well here are a few things you should know:
- The Z Flip has a 6.7-inch display when opened.
- There’s a small display on the front, but you won’t get much done on it. It is only good for telling time and showing notification previews.
- Unlike other foldable phones with plastic screens, the Z Flip uses flexible glass. How durable this is, we don’t know yet.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip: Pricing and availability
As expected, the second-generation foldable phone is a little cheaper than the first-gen Galaxy Fold.
- Z-Flip is far less expensive than the Galaxy Fold that started at $2,000
- That’s less than Motorola’s new Razr that debuted at $1,500.
The Galaxy Z Flip will launch on Friday, Feb. 14 in retail stores and online in the United States. The expected starting price is $1,380.
What are your thoughts on this Samsung Galaxy Z Flip? Do you think it will live the up?